We open new call.
This prize was originally established by Merck in conjunction with PANLAR over 10 years ago. I was asked at that time (Dr. Espinoza) to oversee the process to select the awardee, task which I took as an honor and which I have continued to perform until this year. After a gap of a couple of year, the award was re-established in 2009 under the sponsorship of Abbott (now Abbvie). Most recently, however, the award has been sponsored solely by PANLAR.
Two award categories were established: Basic and Clinical Sciences. When only applications from one category were submitted, the entire award fund were disbursed to the awardee (USD 15,000.00). Otherwise, each awardee received $10,000.00.
Yearly, the process has entailed the following:
- Applications Open May 19th, 2017
- Applications deadline June 12nd, 2017
- Award announcement July 18th, 2017
- Award Ceremony Sep 9th In Lima, Perú.
Only rheumatologists working in Latin America were eligible. The application itself, has been constituted by several components which have been scored individually in a weighted form. All the components of these applications had to be written in English. These components and their weight towards the final score have been the following:
- CV (4-page limit) 10%
- Letters of recommendation (2)* 5%
- Personal statement (1-page limit) 5%
- Work accomplished (2-page limit) 10%
- Research project (10-page limit excluding references) 70%
Letter of support from the applicant’s National Society.